Goodbye ITE. Hello IEE | Part 1

I am sure that if you are a middle age man or woman you do have periodical medical checks. Well, buildings do require to be checked by a professional too. Obviously not as often as we do but the first one should be done after 50 years of being built and that is what the law 8/2013of 26th of June on Urban Rehabilitation, Regeneration and Renovation (Ley 8/2013, de 26 de junio, de rehabilitación, regeneración y renovación urbanas) published on the 27th of June of 2013 on the Official Spanish Bulletin has established.


First thing first. What is the Evaluation Report of Buildings (IEE)?

The Evaluation Report of Buildings (hereinafter IEE) is a document which specify the degree of conservation which buildings are found at the time of inspection, at least in relation to their compliance with current legislation taken into account, accessibility, the degree of energy efficiency and general condition of the building.


What are the differences between ITE and IEE?

The first was limited to reviewing the level of conservation of the buildings, while the second will provide new approaches to improve accessibility for the disable and energy efficiency of the building. The ITE had to be done in buildings more than 50 years old, including single family homes, while the IEE does contemplate the latter.


What official regulation governs these inspections?

The Basic law is namely the Law 8/2013, of 26 June, as specified above. This law contains a "Title I" dedicated to the "Evaluation Report of Buildings". The articles and provisions which refer to the same are as follows:

  • Article 4 Assessment Reports of Buildings.
  • Article 5 Administrative coordination.
  • Article 6 Training required for carrying out Evaluation Reports of Buildings.
  • Disposal eighteenth: Qualifications required for carrying out the Building Assessment Reports.

Notwithstanding this state regulation, which has a basic character, there may be other regional or municipal regulations which will develop this state law and obviously complicating further it I have no doubt.


Who is legally responsible to have an IEE?

Under Section 4 of the Act 8/2013, property owners of residential buildings (block of flats or buildings with more than one owner) that are older than 50 years old. According to Article 2, paragraph 6 of this Act, the term residential building typology means collective housing or "complex formed by more than one dwelling, notwithstanding that may contain simultaneously other uses than residential.


With similar character it is included in this typology, the buildings intended to be occupied by a group of persons who, without being a household, shared services and are subject to common rules, such as hotels, residences or community of owners. "In principle, and unless otherwise required by state or municipal regulations, individual properties are excluded.


They are also required to have performed the IEE owners of any buildings, regardless of their age, when they intend to seek public funds for conservation work, accessibility for the disable and energy efficiency improvements, and always prior to the formalization of the submission of the relevant application.


When should the IEE be done?

According to the First Transitory Provision of the Law 8/2013, and notwithstanding that the regions may adopt a more demanding schedule, the obligation to have the IEE will be effective to the following buildings and within the time periods indicated below:

a) ​​For residential collective housing that are older than 50 years on June 28, 2013 (date of entry into force of the Act), within a maximum period of 5 years. That is, they must have the IEE before June 28, 2018.

b) ​​For residential collective housing which may be 50 years old from June 28, 2013, there is a maximum period of five years from the date in which they will become that old.

c) ​​For residential collective housing over 50 years old and already have, prior to the entry into force of the Law 8/2013, the Technical Building Inspection (ITE) in accordance with applicable regulations and that under it, must review it within 10 years from the entry into force of the Act, upon such review appropriate.

d) For any building, regardless of their age, whose owners intend to seek public funding for conservation work, improve accessibility for the disable and energy efficiency improvement, prior to the presentation of the request for the aid.

f) The rest of the buildings, when so determined by the rules of their own Autonomous Region, which may provide special implementation of the IEE, related to a special location of the building, its age, type or predominant use.


Escribir comentario

Comentarios: 4
  • #1

    Kendal Cuthbert (domingo, 05 febrero 2017 20:45)

    Hi there! I could have sworn I've visited your blog before but after looking at some of the articles I realized it's new to me. Anyways, I'm certainly happy I found it and I'll be bookmarking it and checking back regularly!

  • #2

    Yuki Heins (lunes, 06 febrero 2017 00:44)

    I really like what you guys are usually up too. This kind of clever work and reporting! Keep up the wonderful works guys I've included you guys to my personal blogroll.

  • #3

    Juan Pacheco (lunes, 06 febrero 2017 09:50)

    Hi Yuki,
    You are welcome to visit us any time!!

    Juan Pacheco

  • #4

    Juan Pacheco (lunes, 06 febrero 2017 09:52)

    Hi Kendal,

    Nice comments from you. Thank you.


Use the "Find" box below to obtain access to hundreds  of useful articles /                                                                                  Use la barra de búsqueda abajo para encontrar ciento de artículos muy útiles.

Al ser imposible conocer en profundidad cada caso, todos los consejos y contestaciones a la preguntas realizadas en este blog, los consejos dados son propiciado en términos generales por lo que se deberá contrastar con el asesoramiento privado de un abogado  y/o un arquitecto para estudiar en profundidad su caso.

As it is impossible to know in detail every case asked in this blog all our replies are given in good faith but we strongly suggest that you obtain private advice from a solicitor /and /or  architect who will be able to study in depth your own particular case.